Wednesday 26 December 2012

Adventure in the woods

This sketch was a great lesson. First, in terms of patience, as it was the most time-concuming one, I've done in years (6 hours long, I think). It, also, taught me a lot on how to give depth in the scene, by using different densities of hatching and thus different grey values. In this way, outlines and white space, which sometimes becomes boring, are minimized. The illusion of foliage is also achieved in a really interesting way. I don't know why, but I find the result very atmospheric and cosy.

I used an ink sketch, in an old copy of Jules Verne's "The Mysterious Island", as a reference.

Funny fact:
My pen died just after I finished this piece. It gave its last breath for me to see this done. I will never forget it buddy... :(

Please, don't forget to share and join the blog (look at the right sidebar)! It would be tons of help for me!


No comments:

Post a Comment