Friday 21 December 2012

Venus Comb Tower

So, there is this extraordinary sea shell, called Venus Comb. It is huge, predatory and is covered with long thorns. It is beautiful, in one sense, and spooky in another.

And then, there is the dark and gigantic and silent and wet and horrible tower of Barad Dur. It's the tower where the eye of the dark lord Sauron lives, in the tremendous parallel universe that Tolkien created in his "The Lord Of The Rings" trilogy.

These two, inspired me to sketch what you see here. It is the Venus Comb Tower. An enormous building, with an almost never-ending spiral staircase that leads one straight to the clouds. It's my concept of babel. The sea shell gave me the form (spiral, thorns, long cone, wild textures) and Barad Dur gave me the atmosphere and mood.

I hope you like it!



No comments:

Post a Comment